SB 272 Compliance
California Public Records Act, Local Agencies Inventory
Senate Bill 272
Approved on October 11, 2015, SB 272 adds a section to the California Public Records Act requiring local agencies to create a catalog of Enterprise Systems by July 1, 2016 with annual updates.
A software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.
1. Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
- Current system vendor
- Current system product
- System’s purpose
- A description of categories or types of data
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
2. To make the catalog publicly available upon request
3. To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency’s website
Rolling Hills Community Services District, in adherence with the California Public Records Act (SB 272, 2015), utilizes the following list of enterprise systems:
|Current System Vendor||Current System Product||Purpose of the System||Kind of Data Stored||Primary Custodian||Collection Frequency||Update Frequency|
|The Rocket Science Group, LLC d/b/a MailChimp, a State of Georgia limited liability company.||MailChimp||Email Newsletter||Names and email addresses of subscribers.||RHCSD Clerk||When submitted by newsletter subscribers||When Updated by newsletter subscribers|
|RHCSD is unable to post some other enterprise systems because they are associated with security and Protected Critical Infrastructure related to the District’s information systems. This catalog is in the development stage and will be completed before the July 1, 2016 deadline.|